9. MATTHEW, 1590-1645; of Scotch and English ancestry. b. Halifax, Yorkshire, Eng. Church of England dissenter; very religious; sailed from Bristol with Richard Mather, on ship "James"; arrived Boston on Aug. 7, 1635; had wife, 5 chd. and large amount of supplies; settled at Charlestown, Mass. moved to Concord, and later to Conn., living at Saybrook, Wethersfield, and Stamford; suffered loss from fires and Indians; m. 1616, Susan Butterfield in Eng. d. at Stamford, age 55.
8. DAVID, 1619-1685; b. Halifax, Eng. to America 1635; settled in Stratford, and became large property owner; m. ante 1650, Sarah Wheeler, dau. Moses; 4 sons: Matthew, John, Nathan, and Abraham.
7. Abraham, 1663-1713; b. at Stratford; m. 1685, Sarah Wheeler, a woman with the same name as his mother's, but from a different family; settled in Woodbury, and had chd. Hannah, Nathan, Sarah, Abraham; moved to Windham 1700; engaged in "Meeting House" activities.
6. Abraham, b. ca. 1695, probably at Woodbury; m. 1720, Joanna Taylor of Lebanon, New London co.
5. William, 1735-1816; m. 1764, Sarah Parmelee, dau. Jonathan of Windsor, Conn.
4. Richard, 1770-post 1850; m. ca. 1797, Olive — b. in Ireland 1777; moved from Conn, to vicinity of Albany, N. Y. ante 1830; later to town of Summit, Schoharie co. N. Y., where both are known to have lived past the year 1850; chd. include Stephen, John, Harvey, Matilda, Charles N., Joseph, and Joshua; interment is believed to be in old Summit cemetery where s. John and wife, and g-s are buried. In 1967 this cemetery was overgrown, uncared for, and markers scattered, a disgrace to the town.
Charles Nathaniel, 1810-1859; to N. Y. with parents; farmer; to Mich.
1837, travelling via Erie canal; to Iowa 1850, settling in Winneshiek
co. m. 1834, Elizabeth Row, dau. Frederick; 8 clad. twins who d. in
infancy, a son who d. at 2 years, and 5 daughters: Olive Maria, Hannah
Matilda, Margaret Lorana, Dona Viola, and Martha Elizabeth. Charley
Mitchel was reported by his daughters, as a fine father, and a jolly companion, with the generous,
heart-warming Irish traits dominant.
Martha Elizabeth, 1848-1932; b. near
Lansing, Mich., to Iowa 1850, to Minn. 1874, to Ore. 1882, and to Wash.
state 1906; teacher, home maker, postmistress and general merchandise
store owner, Elmira, Ore. .many years; mem. Baptist ch., and active in
community affairs; m. 1869 .John W. Bollman; 8 chd. Interment in
Mountain View Memorial Park, Tacoma, Wash. see Bollman 2,
9. MOSES, 1598-1690; from Eng. to New Haven, Conn. 1638; freeman; received charter from Conn. gen. ct. for ferry on Housatonic river; occupation shipwright; moved to Stratford 1648; m. 1623 Miriam Hawley.
8. SARAH, b. 1628 in Eng. to Stratford Conn. with parents; m. ante 1650, David Mitchel; see Mitchel 8,.Wheeler
9. GEORGE, 1605-1687; came to New Eng. with brother Thomas, and their families 1635; George settled at Concord, Mass. m. Katharine 1610-1684, in Eng. freeman 1642.8. John, 1643-1713; b. in Mass., moved to Conn. m. 1663, Sarah Larkin, dau. of Edward.
Larkin9. EDWARD, b. 1615 in Eng. to Charlestown, Mass. ante 1640; m. 1640, Joanna Hale, dau. of Deacon Robert.
10. Deacon ROBERT, d. 1659; Puritan from Eng. to Boston 1630; joined 1st ch. at Charlestown 1632; m. Jane in Eng.9. JOANNA, 1616-1686; b. in Eng. m. 1640, Edward Larkin; see Larkin, 9 above.
9. RICHARD, 1619-"673; from Eng. on ship "Truelove" 1635; settled at Yarmouth, Mass. m. 1646, Ruth Wheldon, dau. Gabriel.8. John. 1642-1722; b. at Yarmouth, Mass. m. 1674, Sarah Matthews, dau. of James.
10. GABRIEL, ca. 1600-1654; from Eng. to Yarmouth; town officer 1641-42; moved to Lynn, and later to Malden; m. Margaret in Eng.
9. RUTH, b. in Eng. ca. 1625; to Mass. with parents ca 1635; m. 1646, Richard Taylor; see 9 above.
Matthews9. JAMES, ca. 1615-1686; from Eng. to Charlestown, Mass. 1634; to Yarmouth 1639; mem. Yarmouth military comp. 1643; dep. gen. ct. of Plymouth colony 1644; for Yarmouth 1664; name of wife not known.
9. JOHN, ca.1597-1659; from Eng. in "Elizabeth Ann" 1635; settled at Guilford, Conn., signer of Plantation covenant, 1639; m. in Eng., Hannah; m. 2nd, in Conn. Elizabeth Bradley.
8. JOHN, 1620-1689; b. in Eng. drummer, Guilford Trained Band; freeman 1650; m. 3 times, 3rd 1658, Hannah, surname unknown.
7. Joshua, 1661-1726; b. at Guilford; m. 1st, Elsie Edwards, 16701714; m. 2nd, Hannah, widow of farmer.
6. Jonathan, 1701-1772; moved to Hartford co. m. 1728, Sarah Taylor, dau. John of Windsor.5. Sarah, b. 1740 at Windsor; m. 1764, William Mitchel; see Mitchell 5
9. JOHN, 1620-1685; from Eng, with wife, mother, and stepfather 1639; freeman 1658; mem. Troop of Horse 1658; chimney viewer 1668; m. Ann Munter, dau. of Henry, in Eng. m. 2nd, 1645 Agnes Heane, widow of William Spencer.8. Richard, 1647-1718; attorney at Hartford, Conn. m, 1667, Elizabeth Tuttle, dau. of William.
9. WILLIAM, 1609-1673; in "Planter" to Boston 1635; bought mill on Tower hill, 1635; proprietor of Charlestown, 1636; moved to New Haven, Conn. 1638; fence viewer 1644; in New Haven night watch, and road comm. 1646; part owner of ketch "Zebulon"; prop. of New Haven 1659; constable; m. 1630, Elizabeth, 1612-1684.
8. Elizabeth, b,
1647; m. 1667, Richard Edwards; see 8 above.
9. JOHN, d. 1647; from Eng. in "Lady Arabella" to Mass. with Gov. Winthrop, 1623; settled at Windsor, Conn. 1639; sailed for Eng. in "Phantom Ship" 1647, and was lost at sea; m. Rhoda, a widow.
8. Thomas, 1642-1736; one of 8 original settlers at Danbury, Conn. rep. grand assembly; m. 1665, Rebecca, dau.of Edward Ketcham.7. John, 1672-1742; b. at Danbury, moved to Windsor; m. ca. 1694, Elizabeth Spencer, dau. of Obadiah.
Ketcham, Catchm9. EDWARD, 1598-1655; from Wales to Ipswich, Mass. 1635; later to Stratford; Puritan; freeman 1642; m. 1619, Mary Hall, in Wales, m. 2nd, 1640, Sarah, in Mass.
9. THOMAS, 1607-1687; from Eng. to Cambridge, Mass. 1633; to Hartford, Conn. 1637; soldier in Pequot war; had land grant; constable; 1637; surveyor 1672; m. Sarah, in Eng., dau. of Nathaniel Bearding.8. Obadiah, 1640-1712; b. at Hartford, Conn. m. 1665, Mary, dau. of Nicholas Desborough.
Desborough9. NICHOLAS, from Eng. to Hartford ante 1640; m. 1644, Mary, dau. of John Bronson, of Hartford.
11. RICHARD, b. in Eng. ca. 1574; to Newton, Mass. with two sons Richard and John, in Rev. Hooker's comp. on the "Griffin" 1623; moved to Hartford, Conn. mem. Hooker's ch. at Chelmsford, Eng. and at Hartford, Conn. name of wife not found.10. JOHN, 1600-1680; settled at Hartford, 1636; one of the pillars of Hartford ch. at its founding, 1652; in Pequot war, 1637; dep. gen. ct., and constable; m, Mary, in Eng.